Friday, January 06, 2006

for every action...there's an idiot

Why do I even bother getting riled up about these guys?

First it was Jerry Falwell and his comments about Tinky Winky being gay simply because he had a penchant for handbags. Oooh, that one got me really steamed.

Now The Rev. Pat Robertson is blaming Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's massive stroke on...God??? Seriously. Robertson believes that - because Sharon had the Israelis withdraw from Gaza - he has brought on "God's enmity." (Okay, so I had to look up 'enmity.' It means deep-seated dislike or ill-will. Hatred.) Nice.

On Robertson's 700 Club broadcast (and people actually watch this show), he also noted that Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated (by God, of course) because he signed the Oslo peace accords in 1993. Go figure. He says it's God's way of saying "This land belongs to me, you better leave it alone!"

I think this is my favorite part of the story, though, as taken from CNN.com:


"According to The Associated Press, Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of people who criticized the comments: "What they're basically saying is, 'How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts told the AP. "This is nothing new to the Christian community.""

I am one more inch closer to turning in my Christian Membership Card. Can I be Bat Mitzvahed at 43?

I truly have no comment on this one. Really, I don't. Okay, so maybe one. Let's not forget that this is the same group of folks who blamed Hurricane Katrina on the loose morality of the people in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. See ridiculous editorial here. David Crowe, the article's author writes, "Katrina was an act of God upon a sin-loving and rebellious nation, a warning to all who foolishly and arrogantly believe there is no God, and that if He did exist, "would not have done such a thing!" It is also a serious call to repent, to turn away from our wicked ways, from the heart of a loving Father."

Um...okay.

I'd really rather talk about Paris Hilton getting sued by the Diamond Heiress/Actress (why is everyone a /Actress? Singer/Actress. Model/Actress. World Leader/Actress) for dissing her in the New York Post. The paper reported that Zeta Graff (not to be confused with Zeta-Jones) — who once dated Hilton's then-fiancee, Greek shipping heir (and why is everyone suddenly a 'Greek Shipping Heir'?) Paris Latsis — went "berserk" at the nightclub, tried to strangle Hilton and attempted to steal her diamond necklace. Full story here. My first question is, why would a diamond heiress want to steal a diamond necklace? And my second question is, why am I even glorifying any of this garbage with 5 minutes of my time?

That said, I'm getting on with my day.

Until tomorrow, remember, if your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

No comments: